Engine Management eCtune , Crome , AFC , FMU , Zdyne , Hondata , EMS , TE , Uberdata Anything to control your fuel, spark needs!

using a pretuned map !!

Old 03-30-2005, 06:13 AM
  #1  
0.0 BAR
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20
Default using a pretuned map !!

why can i just use someone's bin file with the same setup !!
why do i have to tune my oun with a wb ? or a dyno ??
mahmoud is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 06:25 AM
  #2  
3.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 11,059
Default Re: using a pretuned map !!

because you do no set up, engine, tune is exactly the same. i have a perfect example of this! i have a 00 si with stock b16 and had a good tune for my turbo set up, a little aggressive, but that's how i like it. the guy i sold my turbo kit to bought everything from me except the intercooler and he had a 00 si with stock b16 as well. ok, so you think, same exact car/engine, same exact turbo set up, just a slightly smaller intercooler, should be able to use the same map right? well, the map i was running 13-15 psi with on my engine, broke 3 out of 4 of his ring lands on 8 psi you can use someones tuned map to get started, but don't assume you will have the same a/f ratio, charge temps, etc. someone elses tuned map is still just a basemap to you. yeah, you can run it for as long as you want if it runs good, but how could you drive a boosted car around and not know what your charge temps or a/f ratio looks like and still be able to sleep at night? i know i couldn't :P
projekteg is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 09:13 AM
  #3  
1.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 425
Default Re: using a pretuned map !!

Originally Posted by projekteg
because you do no set up, engine, tune is exactly the same. i have a perfect example of this! i have a 00 si with stock b16 and had a good tune for my turbo set up, a little aggressive, but that's how i like it. the guy i sold my turbo kit to bought everything from me except the intercooler and he had a 00 si with stock b16 as well. ok, so you think, same exact car/engine, same exact turbo set up, just a slightly smaller intercooler, should be able to use the same map right? well, the map i was running 13-15 psi with on my engine, broke 3 out of 4 of his ring lands on 8 psi you can use someones tuned map to get started, but don't assume you will have the same a/f ratio, charge temps, etc. someone elses tuned map is still just a basemap to you. yeah, you can run it for as long as you want if it runs good, but how could you drive a boosted car around and not know what your charge temps or a/f ratio looks like and still be able to sleep at night? i know i couldn't :P
Had the same kind of thing happen to me but I tuned the car right away and it didn't blow up. I gave a kid my map because he had the same kind of setup. I tuned his car like the next day and it was super rich, I mean like low 10s, which is safe, but it was tuned to like 11.8 on my car and was low 10s on his. Can't imagine if it would have been the other way around.
93turbo16 is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 10:10 AM
  #4  
3.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 6,449
Default Re: using a pretuned map !!

For TurboEdit, you have to be careful which ECU you use with the pretuned map.

The same map on my car had different AFRs run on a PR4 vs. PM6. You would have to tune each indiv ECU
Chris Harris is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 10:15 AM
  #5  
3.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,260
Default Re: using a pretuned map !!

Originally Posted by mahmoud
why can i just use someone's bin file with the same setup !!
why do i have to tune my oun with a wb ? or a dyno ??
..why don't you just go ahead and use someone else's perscription while you're at it. I mean, if you have the same thing, it'll react the same won't it? NO, YOU'LL DIE! AND SO WILL YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!
TurboEF9 is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 10:24 AM
  #6  
1.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 425
Default Re: using a pretuned map !!

Originally Posted by TurboEF9
..why don't you just go ahead and use someone else's perscription while you're at it. I mean, if you have the same thing, it'll react the same won't it? NO, YOU'LL DIE! AND SO WILL YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!
HAHA, be nice. :P
93turbo16 is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 10:32 AM
  #7  
3.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 6,449
Default Re: using a pretuned map !!

Originally Posted by TurboEF9
Originally Posted by mahmoud
why can i just use someone's bin file with the same setup !!
why do i have to tune my oun with a wb ? or a dyno ??
..why don't you just go ahead and use someone else's perscription while you're at it. I mean, if you have the same thing, it'll react the same won't it? NO, YOU'LL DIE! AND SO WILL YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!
I am writing you a prescription for a chill pill :P

However, its ironic you say what you say though Parker...because Doctor's do this EVERY DAY. Give you a prescription based on a few symptoms. There's a SAT question for you...

Matching Tuned Map is to Motor Dying as Prescription Drugs are to ___?
Chris Harris is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 10:58 AM
  #8  
1.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 425
Default Re: using a pretuned map !!

Originally Posted by xenocron
I am writing you a prescription for a chill pill :P

However, its ironic you say what you say though Parker...because Doctor's do this EVERY DAY. Give you a prescription based on a few symptoms. There's a SAT question for you...

Matching Tuned Map is to Motor Dying as Prescription Drugs are to ___?
good thing I didnt' get that SAT question. Might have got a 500 on the lit section. :P
93turbo16 is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 02:05 PM
  #9  
3.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,260
Default Re: using a pretuned map !!

BWhahahaha!!! Stupid quick reply doesn't let me use smilies.. I was kidding with the guy.. sheeessh..

TurboEF9 is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 02:43 PM
  #10  
3.0 BAR
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 5,381
Default Re: using a pretuned map !!

Originally Posted by xenocron
Originally Posted by TurboEF9
Originally Posted by mahmoud
why can i just use someone's bin file with the same setup !!
why do i have to tune my oun with a wb ? or a dyno ??
..why don't you just go ahead and use someone else's perscription while you're at it. I mean, if you have the same thing, it'll react the same won't it? NO, YOU'LL DIE! AND SO WILL YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!
I am writing you a prescription for a chill pill :P

However, its ironic you say what you say though Parker...because Doctor's do this EVERY DAY. Give you a prescription based on a few symptoms. There's a SAT question for you...

Matching Tuned Map is to Motor Dying as Prescription Drugs are to ___? people dying?
juli0_bustamante is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: using a pretuned map !!


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.