Go Back  HomemadeTurbo - DIY Turbo Forum > Homemadeturbo > Engine Management
what is happening when running lean (not a noob question) >

what is happening when running lean (not a noob question)

Engine Management eCtune , Crome , AFC , FMU , Zdyne , Hondata , EMS , TE , Uberdata Anything to control your fuel, spark needs!

what is happening when running lean (not a noob question)

Old 02-20-2008, 11:20 PM
  #1  
!! UNCONFIRMED EMAIL !!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,305
Default what is happening when running lean (not a noob question)

i ------- know what it means but when is it doing?

from my chemistry skills the only thing i can come up with is that the extra oxygen in the chamber is super hot and just wants to oxidize anything it can hit.
like how steel will rust slowly at room temp but if start tig welding without a sheilding gas it oxidizes like instantly.

dont tell me about 14.7:1 or ---- cuz i know that.
dont tell me to google it becuase every other *** out there has only 1 thing to say and that is what it is, not what is happening.
t_cel_t is offline  
Old 02-20-2008, 11:23 PM
  #2  
1.5 BAR
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 676
Default Re: what is happening when running lean (not a noob question)

Your question makes no sense and is in the wrong forum.
Inquisition is offline  
Old 02-20-2008, 11:43 PM
  #3  
0.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 0
Default Re: what is happening when running lean (not a noob question)

Originally Posted by t_cel_t
i ------- know what it means but when is it doing?

from my chemistry skills the only thing i can come up with is that the extra oxygen in the chamber is super hot and just wants to oxidize anything it can hit.
like how steel will rust slowly at room temp but if start tig welding without a sheilding gas it oxidizes like instantly.

dont tell me about 14.7:1 or ---- cuz i know that.
dont tell me to google it becuase every other *** out there has only 1 thing to say and that is what it is, not what is happening.
when it runs lean it starts to detonate
MustangC. is offline  
Old 02-21-2008, 02:20 AM
  #4  
3.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,044
Default Re: what is happening when running lean (not a noob question)

wrong mixture of air and fuel caused premature combustion. which is detonation. too much air and not nough fuel.
89shithatch is offline  
Old 02-21-2008, 02:25 AM
  #5  
3.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,470
Default Re: what is happening when running lean (not a noob question)

this is the full answer.

when ruining super lean, you create more heat in the combustion chamber. this extra heat ignites the fuel before the spark plug does and... boom.



kain is offline  
Old 02-21-2008, 08:27 AM
  #6  
3.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,081
Default Re: what is happening when running lean (not a noob question)

You're question is worded poorly, and I dont think you will get an answer here. We are just a bunch of poor people that mangle together cheap turbo kits.
ifly87 is offline  
Old 02-21-2008, 08:30 AM
  #7  
3.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,563
Default Re: what is happening when running lean (not a noob question)

Originally Posted by kain
this is the full answer.

when ruining super lean, you create more heat in the combustion chamber. this extra heat ignites the fuel before the spark plug does and... boom.



Beat me to it. I agree with kain here.
JoshMO is offline  
Old 02-23-2008, 01:52 AM
  #8  
!! UNCONFIRMED EMAIL !!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,305
Default Re: what is happening when running lean (not a noob question)

well its just that ive seen what happens to pistons when a motor goes lean and it like a hole is burned right through it. the hole is smooth almost like it is gradual.
but then ive seen pistons that were like totally cracked to hell with bent rods.
i just thought something else was happening
t_cel_t is offline  
Old 02-23-2008, 11:57 AM
  #9  
3.0 BAR
 
Slo_crx1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: C-dale, NEPA
Posts: 4,667
Default Re: what is happening when running lean (not a noob question)

Originally Posted by t_cel_t
well its just that ive seen what happens to pistons when a motor goes lean and it like a hole is burned right through it. the hole is smooth almost like it is gradual.
but then ive seen pistons that were like totally cracked to hell with bent rods.
i just thought something else was happening
The one's you saw with smooth holes burned in them were from running too lean without detonation (yes, it's possible). It acts like a blowtorch when you keep adding oxygen to the acetaline mix. The one's you saw that were cracked and broken were from detonation (could be caused from running lean or too much timing advance too). With them it's basically the mixture igniting too early as the piston is on it's up stroke, sort of like hitting it with a big hammer really hard while the piston is in motion coming up instead of where you want it on the downstroke.
Slo_crx1 is offline  
Old 02-23-2008, 12:09 PM
  #10  
1.0 BAR
 
brettsb16a2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Floresville Tx
Posts: 236
Default Re: what is happening when running lean (not a noob question)

A lean mixture can also just cause a misfire and no detonation in vacuum with a light load or no load
brettsb16a2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what is happening when running lean (not a noob question)


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.