Forced Induction Custom FI Setup Questions

Rear mount turbo,does this setup sound ok?

Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 AM
  #1  
VRX
0.0 BAR
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7
Default Rear mount turbo,does this setup sound ok?

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to get some input on the specs of my rear mount turbo setup.From the searching i've done on this site some people will say 'don't bother just put it under the bonnet' so i'll say it now it's not going to happen

This setup will be going on a 2005 Mitsubishi Magna (Diamante) manual 3.5l V6 running LPG and i'll be aiming for [email protected] on 5psi.

To make it easy i'll describe the setup from start to finish.After the RPW headers are merged a Tial MRV-R wastegate will sit just before the cat and will VTA,the exhaust (2.4'') will continue on up to the turbo (headers and exhaust pipe to be wrapped in Titanium wrap).The turbo i've been recommended is a CT46262 with a T3 .82 exhaust housing (i think .64 would be more ideal) with triplex ceramic bearing core so no need to run oil lines or a scavenge pump,it will take the place of the current rear muffler.

The turbo will suck through a 4'' intake pipe with the pod mounted up as high as possible to minimize the chance of sucking up water.The compressed air will run back down the car and up into the engine bay and about 20cm away from the MAF will be a Synapse BOV which when off boost will allow the turbo system to be bypassed which will give better off boost throttle response and economy.Boost will be run at the wastegate pressure of 5psi.

The fuel system won't have to be touched as the car will only start on petrol then once warm will automatically switch to LPG which has enough capacity for the power i'm after.

I'll be using the lesser known Profire ECU which has been specifically designed for the use of petrol and LPG (runs a seperate fuel and ignition map for each fuel)

I'm happy to listen to suggestions

Thanks.

Last edited by VRX; 05-10-2012 at 06:31 AM.
VRX is offline  
Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM
  #2  
0.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 11
Default

That's quite a list. though i know little up front about the CT4 - 6262 turbocharger, i think that you still need to run a water line (water only / no oil) to the CHRA. i will research some more. Those triple ceramic ball bearings do sound quite promising. i would just be a tad hesitant at not using any kind of lubricant or coolant.

Venting to atmo prior to the cat might be cause for pause. Wastegates can leak. this might affect how your Cat behaves. maybe place the wastegate much closer to the turbo. And the wastegate will run cooler, and might enjoy a longer life span. also cooler exhaust gas temps will be nicer to gate, imho.

make sure the Synapse BOV is UPSTREAM of the MAF. ie... air filter - turbo - bov - maf - throttle plate - intake mani. and make sure you filter the BOV... you don't want foriegn contaminants to sneak in through the BOV while it is open.

LPG... low pressure gas correct? interesting.

sounds like you have the basics covered. let us know how it proceeds.
rohmer is offline  
Old 05-16-2012, 08:35 AM
  #3  
VRX
0.0 BAR
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Hey ronmer thanks for you're reply,

Yer i will be running a coolant line i just forgot to mention it.

I would have thought leakage would be minimal with a genuine Tial?? yer i agree running a part at a lower temp usually does result in alonger life span,but i'm prepared to sacrifice longevity for better placement and noise.

Yep got that sorted,i'm rigging up the BOV so it breathes through the stock airbox to keep the off boost inlet temps cool and the noise to a minimum.

LPG - liquid petroleum gas,it has an octane rating of 102-108RON.
VRX is offline  
Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 PM
  #4  
0.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 11
Default

if you have to run a coolant line, it will still need a scavange pump. it just wont be as critical pressure wise.

A genuine TIAL will not leak.... initially. but over time, EVERYTHING FAILS. it's just that simple.

Great idea on throating the BOV back into the stock airbox! When it is vacuum it uses the filter to get clean air, and when it vents boost, it puts it back into a clean location, brilliant!
rohmer is offline  
Old 05-21-2012, 02:01 PM
  #5  
0.0 BAR
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by rohmer View Post
if you have to run a coolant line, it will still need a scavange pump.
Hey Kurt. Why is a scavenge pump necessary for the coolant loop? There isn't a pressure loss across the CHRA or much of one so why won't it circulate itself? Supply coolant from pre-thermostat and return to intake side of water pump?
MetricMuscle is offline  
Old 05-23-2012, 03:29 AM
  #6  
0.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12
Default

Originally Posted by VRX View Post
Hey ronmer thanks for you're reply,

Yer i will be running a coolant line i just forgot to mention it.

I would have thought leakage would be minimal with a genuine Tial?? yer i agree running a part at a lower temp usually does result in alonger life span,but i'm prepared to sacrifice longevity for better placement and noise.

Yep got that sorted,i'm rigging up the BOV so it breathes through the stock airbox to keep the off boost inlet temps cool and the noise to a minimum.

LPG - liquid petroleum gas,it has an octane rating of 102-108RON.
Be careful when deciphering the octane rating of LPG, over here in Australia the lpg (propane) is spiked with a percentage of butane, which lowers the octane rating somewhat! Two other factors that reduce the octane rating of lpg are the heat of the inducted air/lpg mix, and the intake velocity into the chamber, the faster the air/lpg mix the lower the det. threshold. Water injection can counter the detonation problem, as can the newer injected lpg systems which inject the gas from a liquified state, causing charge cooling (and a large power gain) just like petrol does (or "gas" does in the u.s.a.).
Roadrunner is offline  
Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 AM
  #7  
0.0 BAR
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by rohmer View Post
....about the CT4 - 6262 turbocharger, i think that you still need to run a water line (water only / no oil) to the CHRA. i will research some more.

Those triple ceramic ball bearings do sound quite promising. i would just be a tad hesitant at not using any kind of lubricant or coolant.
I've perused their site a bit, you definitely need to still run a coolant line to the turbo, this will be the only form of cooling.

One of the cornerstones of ceramic ball bearing performance is the need for very little lubrication. Lubrication causes drag. It looks to me like CT uses 3 sealed ceramic ball bearings in a sleeve which is inserted into the CHRA. The sleeve is then surrounded by some type of oil which is used as a heat sink between it and the CHRA.

I wonder how hard it would be to make this kinda sleeve and modify my TD05 CHRA. I've pressed bearings into steel sleeves I've turned down from steel pipe for oversized hole applications. The right tools and sequence would be important.
MetricMuscle is offline  
Old 05-27-2012, 09:13 PM
  #8  
0.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 11
Default

Metric...you have a point..rethinking the need for a coolant scvg pump...you are probably correct in not needing one.
rohmer is offline  
Old 05-28-2012, 10:28 AM
  #9  
0.0 BAR
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 27
Default

The only thing I dislike about a Remote Mount Turbo is a scavenge pump system. It seems like the weak link to me, maybe just a mental block, I dunno.

Have you looked at what Comp Turbo has done with angular contact ceramic ball bearings? This mod would not only provide the benefits of ball bearings but also remove the need for an oil supply loop with a scavenge pump. The loose tolerances they talk about on their website make it sound real easy to make not to mention lots better longevity in a remote mount due to less heat to begin with and better cooling.

I wonder if a sealed bearing could be used in a remote mount application due to the lower heat involved. They talk about a grease they use that can be reapplied as necessary instead of oil. A sealed ceramic ball bearing would have the right amount of grease and it wouldn't migrate away from where it needs to stay.

I searched but didn't find much discussion here on making a ceramic ball bearing upgrade to a traditional design, which surprises me being a DIY turbo HomeMadeTurbo site. Have you found any sites that go into this more?

Last edited by MetricMuscle; 05-28-2012 at 10:30 AM.
MetricMuscle is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:28 AM
  #10  
VRX
0.0 BAR
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Originally Posted by rohmer View Post
if you have to run a coolant line, it will still need a scavange pump. it just wont be as critical pressure wise.

A genuine TIAL will not leak.... initially. but over time, EVERYTHING FAILS. it's just that simple.

Great idea on throating the BOV back into the stock airbox! When it is vacuum it uses the filter to get clean air, and when it vents boost, it puts it back into a clean location, brilliant!
The car will be doing very low mileage so it should last a few years hopefully.

Cheers! yer seems so obvious but i've yet to see it done.

Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
Be careful when deciphering the octane rating of LPG, over here in Australia the lpg (propane) is spiked with a percentage of butane, which lowers the octane rating somewhat! Two other factors that reduce the octane rating of lpg are the heat of the inducted air/lpg mix, and the intake velocity into the chamber, the faster the air/lpg mix the lower the det. threshold. Water injection can counter the detonation problem, as can the newer injected lpg systems which inject the gas from a liquified state, causing charge cooling (and a large power gain) just like petrol does (or "gas" does in the u.s.a.).
Interesting thanks for the info,i will be telling them to go ultra safe on the tune so hopefully that is enough but i am thinking of putting in one of Frozen Boosts W2A systems if it'll go inline under the car.

Originally Posted by MetricMuscle View Post
The only thing I dislike about a Remote Mount Turbo is a scavenge pump system. It seems like the weak link to me, maybe just a mental block, I dunno.

Have you looked at what Comp Turbo has done with angular contact ceramic ball bearings? This mod would not only provide the benefits of ball bearings but also remove the need for an oil supply loop with a scavenge pump. The loose tolerances they talk about on their website make it sound real easy to make not to mention lots better longevity in a remote mount due to less heat to begin with and better cooling.

I wonder if a sealed bearing could be used in a remote mount application due to the lower heat involved. They talk about a grease they use that can be reapplied as necessary instead of oil. A sealed ceramic ball bearing would have the right amount of grease and it wouldn't migrate away from where it needs to stay.

I searched but didn't find much discussion here on making a ceramic ball bearing upgrade to a traditional design, which surprises me being a DIY turbo HomeMadeTurbo site. Have you found any sites that go into this more?
Yer as i said in my first post
The turbo i've been recommended is a CT46262 with a T3 .82 exhaust housing (i think .64 would be more ideal) with triplex ceramic bearing core so no need to run oil lines or a scavenge pump
So with regards to the turbo does anyone think it's too big? i mean i want early spool but i don't want the turbo hitting a brick wall way before redline either.
VRX is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear mount turbo,does this setup sound ok?


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.