Engine Management eCtune , Crome , AFC , FMU , Zdyne , Hondata , EMS , TE , Uberdata Anything to control your fuel, spark needs!

i suck at chipping ecus

Old 06-13-2006, 10:06 AM
  #1  
1.5 BAR
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,460
Default i suck at chipping ecus

yesterday i tried to chip an ecu for the second time.. the first time i tried it was for my car, my ee teacher helped me burn up 2 traces when desoldering and i got a solid cel. I thought everything else was fine and thats why it didnt work. anyway, i told my buddy i'd chip his ecu for him, Not even close to a burnt trace for desoldering, and no cold solders? i was using a craftsman iorn that was pretty hot, could that be the problem or do i suck?

also, my p28 has a resistor in r52. His po6 and other p28's dont. Moates chipped mine, does anyone know what its for?
sohcpwr is offline  
Old 06-13-2006, 10:09 AM
  #2  
1.5 BAR
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,129
Default Re: i suck at chipping ecus

if that was the only thing
zex_cool is offline  
Old 06-13-2006, 10:13 AM
  #3  
1.5 BAR
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,460
Default Re: i suck at chipping ecus

huh?
sohcpwr is offline  
Old 06-13-2006, 12:53 PM
  #4  
1.5 BAR
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 835
Default Re: i suck at chipping ecus

you are putting a socket in right, not just soldering the chip straight to the board
z1guy is offline  
Old 06-13-2006, 01:02 PM
  #5  
0.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 0
Default Re: i suck at chipping ecus

Originally Posted by z1guy
you are putting a socket in right, not just soldering the chip straight to the board
that doesnt matter alot of obd1 baords have chicps already there aka most jdm ecu's like the auto p30,p13


I have chipped 2 p28's that already had been chipped by the factory





You can ---- up in alot of places so the net isnt really goin help you. Go re do your joints




alsot he r52 is common some do some dont doesnt change a thing



This is why you should send ecu's into people


Guy-Fast is offline  
Old 06-13-2006, 01:06 PM
  #6  
1.5 BAR
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,460
Default Re: i suck at chipping ecus

I sent mine out after i fucked it up, but i figured it was because i burnt up 2 traces. When i finished this last one, i was sure it would work. All the solder joints are good, they flow through to the other side of the board. No cold solders, i didnt miss any or anything. Even if i cant do it, i would like to know what i fucked up on.
sohcpwr is offline  
Old 06-13-2006, 02:13 PM
  #7  
0.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 0
Default Re: i suck at chipping ecus

LMAO, a friend of mine seen how easy it looks to chip ecu's and tried it himself trying to save money last week. he did quite a number on it, last thing i heard about it was something along the lines of "shiit, i think this ecu is fucked", "what can i do if i pull the trace off the board?", "time to look for a new one." and "WTF solid CEL!?, WTF AM I DOING WRONG??".

lmao,all i could do was laugh and ask him if it was as easy as he thought.
J-MAN is offline  
Old 06-13-2006, 02:15 PM
  #8  
1.5 BAR
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 835
Default Re: i suck at chipping ecus

Originally Posted by chris
that doesnt matter alot of obd1 baords have chicps already there aka most jdm ecu's like the auto p30,p13


I have chipped 2 p28's that already had been chipped by the factory





You can ---- up in alot of places so the net isnt really goin help you. Go re do your joints




alsot he r52 is common some do some dont doesnt change a thing



This is why you should send ecu's into people


true, i was just asking because its so much easier to mess up when not using a socket.
z1guy is offline  
Old 06-13-2006, 06:34 PM
  #9  
3.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,081
Default Re: i suck at chipping ecus

Alright, I live in HICKVILLE USA, nobody within 20 miles drives a honda so I have no help whatsoever, I chippeed my po6 by just going off the picture on the pgmfi.org website, and it works like a charm. I'm not saying i'm special, i'm saying you have to be a fucktard to screw it up. I cant say the same for my ebay datalogging cable which I cannot get to work.
ifly87 is offline  
Old 06-14-2006, 05:39 PM
  #10  
0.0 BAR
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 0
Default Re: i suck at chipping ecus

Originally Posted by ifly87
Alright, I live in HICKVILLE USA, nobody within 20 miles drives a honda so I have no help whatsoever, I chippeed my po6 by just going off the picture on the pgmfi.org website, and it works like a charm. I'm not saying i'm special, i'm saying you have to be a fucktard to screw it up. I cant say the same for my ebay datalogging cable which I cannot get to work.
Well tons of people ahve messed it up especially obdo ecu's or jdm ecu's with the eprom on the baord



Guy-Fast is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i suck at chipping ecus


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.