Forced Induction Custom FI Setup Questions

Holset VGT HE351VE Controller

Old 04-14-2010, 10:46 PM
0.0 BAR

Default Holset VGT HE351VE Controller

Hey there. I've gotten so many E-mails from my Youtube post, that I've decided to start a thread following the progress on my Holset VGT controller. I'm developing a controller for the factory actuator on a HE351VE. First off, I'm sick of everyone wanting money rather than just getting satisfaction out of helping other people with their projects, so I will be totally open with everything and won't be doing this for profit. This controller will work with any car since it is a standalone controller, although it would have to be custom tuned. I'm using mine on a 95 Eclipse GS-T with a 2.3L. It uses a 3 bar gm map sensor (I suppose any would work) a programmable micro controller, and an RC car speed controller. I soldered directly to the motor on the circuit board, bypassing all of the factory electronics. After some experimentation, I found out that when wired the correct way, the motor behaves just like any other brush-less RC car motor. I have also drilled and tapped a hole in the actuator to mount a potentiometer in order to have position feedback. Additionally, I have successfully programmed the microcontroller to generate a PWM signal to instruct the speed controller once a voltage was reached with the MAP sensor. I will post a picture of how I wired it soon. l have more details and updates to come. Any thoughts?
Old 04-15-2010, 04:42 PM
0.0 BAR

I got your email in regards of the CAN or PWM signal.
I emailed a Cummins engineer. He's supposed to get back to me.
Dodge uses the CAN protocol. We use the SAE J1939 protocol. I don't know if it makes a difference.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:34 PM
0.0 BAR

I know for a fact that SAE J1939 is just a specification of CAN protocol. It is the most commonly used protocol in the automotive/agricultural industries. There are however, several variants as you can see at SAE J1939 Standards Collection Regardless, I just thought it would make this project a little easier if the actuator could accept PWM signals since on the Dephi website it almost sounds like these things can accept both PWM and CAN out of the box. Let me know what the engineer says.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:26 PM
0.0 BAR

Originally Posted by CivicTsi
Hey there. I've gotten so many E-mails from my Youtube post, that I've decided to start a thread following the progress on my Holset VGT controller. I'm developing a controller for the factory actuator on a HE351VE. First off, I'm sick of everyone wanting money rather than just getting satisfaction out of helping other people with their projects, so I will be totally open with everything and won't be doing this for profit. This controller will work with any car since it is a standalone controller, although it would have to be custom tuned. I'm using mine on a 95 Eclipse GS-T with a 2.3L. It uses a 3 bar gm map sensor (I suppose any would work) a programmable micro controller, and an RC car speed controller. I soldered directly to the motor on the circuit board, bypassing all of the factory electronics. After some experimentation, I found out that when wired the correct way, the motor behaves just like any other brush-less RC car motor. I have also drilled and tapped a hole in the actuator to mount a potentiometer in order to have position feedback. Additionally, I have successfully programmed the microcontroller to generate a PWM signal to instruct the speed controller once a voltage was reached with the MAP sensor. I will post a picture of how I wired it soon. l have more details and updates to come. Any thoughts?
Very nice and glad to see someone using the OE electronics for VGT control. A couple simpe questions regarding the motor control.

- I see in the manual for the motor controller link: BEC Output 6A 1A? Does the RC motor controller use a constant voltage or variable voltage to actuate the VGT mechanism?

I have a programable controller that I think I can make work but I need to know what the motor requierments are V and A. Dont want to fry the motor by guessing.... Your doing great work thank you.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:50 AM
0.0 BAR

I honestly don't know the power requirements of the motor. All I know is that I have run it extended periods of time and at varying speeds without trouble . I also know that the speed controller (ESC) does vary the voltage going to the motor. Its hard to tell by how much. Maybe an oscilloscope would help but I don't have one. I'm not really worried about it since as I said before, I've run it for extended periods of time without trouble. (about 2 hours straight at medium speed.)
What programmable controller do you have?
Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 AM
0.0 BAR

I honestly don't know the power requirements of the motor. All I know is that I have run it extended periods of time and at varying speeds without trouble . I also know that the speed controller (ESC) does vary the voltage going to the motor. Its hard to tell by how much. Maybe an oscilloscope would help but I don't have one. I'm not really worried about it since as I said before, I've run it for extended periods of time without trouble. (about 2 hours straight at medium speed.)
What programmable controller do you have?
I have this Coolingmist Water Injection, alcohol injection and Methanol Injection systems

Check out the PDF instructions, its like a bunch of user programable logic gates. I dont think you need a scope to determine the DCV requierment. Just a simple DVOM to find the high and low. O-scope would work too but maybe not nessesary.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:09 PM
0.0 BAR

Originally Posted by albersondh
I have this Coolingmist Water Injection, alcohol injection and Methanol Injection systems

Check out the PDF instructions, its like a bunch of user programable logic gates. I dont think you need a scope to determine the DCV requierment. Just a simple DVOM to find the high and low. O-scope would work too but maybe not nessesary.
A DVOM isn't fast enough to pick up the instantaneous voltage. Remember the ESC is switching the windings of the motor on and off very fast in sequence. A DVOM just jumps around all over the place trying to make sense of it. I've tried.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:55 PM
0.0 BAR

A DVOM isn't fast enough to pick up the instantaneous voltage. Remember the ESC is switching the windings of the motor on and off very fast in sequence. A DVOM just jumps around all over the place trying to make sense of it. I've tried.
Obviously I know ---- about the ESC. Found this and it helped electronic speed controllers (esc) for electric powered radio controlled model cars, boats and airplanes. We have the complete range of electronic speed controllers from schulze and mgm for electric RC models

So your using PWM to control the motor. So yea obviously an o-scope to catch the DC% and vdc. What happens if you just feed it straight volts or 100%dc? Does it have to use PWM? I wonder if simply varying the amount of vdc to the motor without PWM would get to do the same as PWM does (vary VGT opening speed)?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:48 PM
0.0 BAR

I got an email from the Cummins engineer. Sadly, is not their field. They seemed pretty interested in the project though!
I went and did some more research and found a phone number to contact a tech from Delphi. He told me that all Cummins units are CAN only. The only controller that uses PWM from the factory is the International DT466 and DT530. I have a buddy in an International dealer that can hook me up with one of them. I can PM you the Delphi tech phone number if you're interested. He seemed pretty knowledgeable about the controller. Let me know if you can use the International controller.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:00 PM
0.0 BAR

Originally Posted by albersondh
Obviously I know ---- about the ESC. Found this and it helped electronic speed controllers (esc) for electric powered radio controlled model cars, boats and airplanes. We have the complete range of electronic speed controllers from schulze and mgm for electric RC models

So your using PWM to control the motor. So yea obviously an o-scope to catch the DC% and vdc. What happens if you just feed it straight volts or 100%dc? Does it have to use PWM? I wonder if simply varying the amount of vdc to the motor without PWM would get to do the same as PWM does (vary VGT opening speed)?
I assume you mean 100% DC but still switching between the 3 coils inside of it. I guess you could. In fact, I think that's what happens when I push the ESC to full throttle. One of the coils would only be energized one-third of the time though because in order to make the motor move, the 3 coils have to energize in sequence. If they don't, the motor will just stay locked in one place. Remember this is a brushless motor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holset VGT HE351VE Controller